≡ Menu

What Life Holds Next

iu

Many of you may have already heard or read that I had to close down the fibromyalgia – chronic fatigue syndrome support community that I ran for six years. It was about 800 members strong.

While it breaks my heart to give up what I considered my life’s work, I just became too ill to keep up with all that was required. My initial concern was for the members and how they would handle the loss of a support system in their lives. They have been enormously amazing. Many, many have taken the time to write and thank me and reassure me that I am making the right decision by focusing on my own health. With the exception of one member, no one has given me a hard time about closing the community or the loss of the group. The goodwill outpouring has brought tears to my eyes and those of my husband’s more than once.

I don’t know what my life holds next for me. I have several interests and hobbies. Most of you know about them, I just haven’t been able to participate in them in a long time. We have three goats that I would love to get back to playing with, along with our two dogs. I write novels and would love to finish one and get it into publication, at least as an e-book. I took up knitting not all that long ago and then had to drop it. I would like to get back to that.

If my brain ever returns, I would love to read again. I used to be a creative artist with oil paints. I don’t know that is in the cards again. Too many chemicals, but maybe I can figure out another way to work art into my life. And, I always loved to cook if I can get the energy to stand in the kitchen again.

I guess what I am saying is I don’t know where I am headed at this point. I have some guesses and some directions I would like to head. We will see if my body cooperates.

I have long wondered what the stress of working was doing to keep me sick. I have wondered even longer than that what immersing myself in the world of illness all day, every day was doing to keep me ill. I tend to be very suggestible. Was all that illness talk keeping me more ill? This is going to be interesting going forward.

{ 8 comments… add one }
  • Shelley Reed May 2, 2015, 3:42 am

I, too, wonder about the impact on our health from focusing on it daily is – especially when we feel burdened to figure out what the scientific/medical community has not, generally without the benefit of a science degree. But, sounds like you have all kinds of creative outlets you can pursue at your own pace and the peace that comes from doing each is wonderful. I look forward to seeing your work. You go, girl! – and thank you again!

• Tamara Staples May 3, 2015, 12:24 am

I have long wondered, Shelley, because I am very suggestible. So, am I staying more ill because I am immersed in that world. This is going to be an interesting experiment. 🙂

• Susane May 2, 2015, 10:32 pm

Thankyou Tamara.
    it was wonderfu getting to know you through the website you created. We used to have a great support group in my town in which I helped out and participated in. Do to our condition FM, eventually had to close after many years.
    When I joined your on line support group and saw all that you had to offer I had wished I had lived in your area to participate and help out. 🙂
    Your group was filled with expertise, meetings and a wealth of information to share.
    please do take care fibro sista.

Susane

• Tamara Staples May 3, 2015, 12:23 am

Thank you, Susane. And, thanks for the years you ran your group. We each do our part for as long as we can and hope someone comes along after us and picks up the reins. It isn’t right that the ill have to support the ill, but that is just the way it is. <3

• Libby Boone May 3, 2015, 2:20 am

I think I am suggestible too, Tamara. Thanks for bringing this up. I have learned and am continuing to learn to respect my boundaries and respect my own needs. So many of us want to do everything we can to support the ill, but it can lead to our own health being compromised. I think that we will both find out that we will be feeling better soon and more able to enjoy our lives. You are a beautiful person and I know you will grow even more so as time goes on. <3

• Tamara Staples May 4, 2015, 10:54 pm

Thank you, honey. Yes, it is hard to want to help when you feel it might be compromising your own health. I think only time will tell. 🙂

• Connie Alvarez May 4, 2015, 3:59 am

You,my dear are beautiful inside and out! I want to thank you for all the time and effort that you put into running the Facebook group.I am sorry that your health is the reason and I support your decision.You have always said that we need to take care of ourselves first and I am glad you are doing just that! May you be blessed in every endeavor that you strive for.Thankyou Tamara for everything. God bless you sweetheart.

• Tamara Staples May 4, 2015, 10:55 pm

Thank you, Connie. It means so much that you took the time to write. I will still be around dropping in to say hello. Take care! <3